Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The blahs (again)

The best thing in my life right now (or so it always seems before coffee) is my comforter. I don't know what it means that the shop people rated it "five," but apparently it means that this comforter creates an alternate universe entirely independent of climatic conditions on Earth.

So when I am summoned from it into the real, cold world of Nowhere, WI, I am not (comme dit ons en Angleterre) half pleased. When I am summoned from it not by my alarm, but by the inexplicably bleeping smoke detector, which may or may not need batteries, I am not half pleased but very confused. Shivering nakedly on a chair and myopically puzzling at the bleeping beastly thing is not as good as sleeping in my alternate universe. And when I got back to bed this morning I had re-snuggled for ten minutes when my actual alarm went off.

What am I so tired for? It's not as though I was particularly productive yesterday, or that life in Nowhere is such a whirlwind existence that I'm plum tuckered out. I think it may just be that October always does this to me. It may be having two, rather than one, freshman composition classes. It may be the cold snap. It may be five hours of student conferences yesterday. It may be my students that glare at me or fall asleep (or both) and then go online to ratemyprofessor.com and complain that I'm an asshole.

Maybe it's living in a world where we, having destroyed the planet, are getting destroyed right back, where our semi-elected leaders are baldfaced criminal bastards and not enough people care to change them. Maybe it's that Rosa Parks died.

Or maybe it's just that I'm a self-absorbed shit who really doesn't want to go to a faculty meeting today after teaching all day.

Thanks for your patience. I don't need sympathy (or outrage); I just needed to vent.

1 Comments:

Blogger G. said...

you should put a feather mattress under the comfortor. trust me when i say heaven on earth can be found on one.

7:57 AM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home