Thursday, November 02, 2006

Beijing Shakespeare, via Mac OS X

I'm having a long morning since the dog woke me up, so I thought I'd try to amuse myself by translating famous lines of Shakespeare into Mandarin with the Macintosh built in translator program, and then back into English. The results have surpassed my expectations, so here are some of them, for entertainment purposes only.

JAQUES: All worlds merely are the phase, and all man-power and the woman player.

MARK ANTHONY: The friend, Romans, the countryman, borrows me your ear!

HAMLET: Oh, that this, the too solid flesh and blood can melt, can defrost, with can solve oneself enters the dew!

ORSINO: If the music loves food, performance. Surpasses the fixed quantity it to me, perhaps surfeiting, the appetite loathing and dies therefore.

IAGO: But his larceny is not enriches him from my mine good luck famous achievement that and indeed is me to be poor.

POLONIUS: This is higher than all: To you from already was real, and it had afterwards to come to take a night of date, you were unable then are false to any man-power.

LADY MACBETH: But screws tight your courage to the arrangement which mounts attaches and we not to be able to fail.

HENRY V: The breach, the dear friend, or approximates the wall to die by ours English!

RICHARD III: Now is winter our discontent makes brilliance by York's this son the summer.

CALIBAN: Does not want to be afraid. The island is the full noise, publicizes with for is happy and injures is not the sweet sound.

ROMEO: But is soft, any light through that side Windows interrupt! This is the East, and Juliet is Sunday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeepers, I only half-recognized Polonious' line...

What a great experiment! It's just more proof that the world still needs human translators. You should do some more of this :)

Long live linguists!

10:08 PM, November 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home