Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Breathing easier

I feel as though I can now justify the money I spent to get to MLA to attempt to get a new job this Christmas. I finally got a call and one of the schools I applied to -- let's call it Desert State University for the sake of anonymity, just in case I end up moving there -- wants to interview me. That's a weight off my mind. Desert State is thousands of miles away from my primary family (not necessarily a bad thing), and they have a law school that excites M's transferring juices. Apparently there's lots of Native American law to learn and practice there.

It's not my top choice, but it is the first search committee that wants to offer me an interview. And there are no rejections yet. Furthermore, the sterling Liberal Arts college that would be my first choice wrote to ask for writing samples today. So it's been a good job-market day.

And also not a bad teaching day, although the starting center of the basketball team failed my class today and so I have complaining coaches to look forward to. One of my students turned in what may well be a publishable argument on Faerie Queene III.iv. Bizarre. It was about the best undergrad essay I've ever seen. Maybe I should co-author an article with her. What could we lose?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home